Whether you’re a Beneficial Cargo Owner with an in-house crew that takes control of your cargo at the point of entry, or you’re a Freight Forwarder acting on behalf of others to orchestrate the precise, safe, and cost-effective transportation of their goods, it’s essential to partner with an established and experienced provider of reliable warehousing and distribution services to enable you to do your job exceptionally well.
When looking for a warehouse fulfillment partner to help you strategically manage and successfully move your products, or your customers’ products, through the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach you’ll want to be sure the service meets certain criteria. The company you ultimately decide to partner with should:
1. Provide warehouse fulfillment services via a Warehouse Management System (WMS)
A WMS is an integral part of the supply chain process that not only controls the purposefully-orchestrated movement and proper storage of materials within a warehouse, but also processes all the shipping, receiving, put-away, and picking transactions. It’s a user-friendly, web-based software application that seamlessly supports the daily operations in a vast warehouse and makes the tracking of inventory levels and stock locations a breeze. You’ll want to partner with a 21st century company that utilizes a state-of-the-art WMS.
2. Communicating through Electronic Data Interchange(EDI)
Choosing a partner that has experience using an EDI to communicate within the supply chain offers many advantages:
- It automates the process through computer-to-computer technology, including accessing vital and time-sensitive information that would traditionally take much longer and require more labor costs to obtain if done manually.
- It reduces errors by totally eliminating the need to re-key important data which reduces the potential for mistakes.
- It’s scalable and by communicating with your partners via EDI, you don’t need to hire additional staff to manually key-in extra orders during the holiday and seasonal spikes in inventory movement.
- It’s quick and expedites the entire order fulfillment process.
3. Demonstrated expertise in retail routing guides
If you’re working with multiple retailers, then you’ll want to be sure that the warehousing, distribution, and transportation specialist you partner with has retail routing guide expertise. This knowledge and experience will save you the stress and expense of:
- unnecessary chargebacks
- having to invest in different systems
- having to hire, train, and manage in-house personnel to ensure shipment is in accordance with the stringent retail routing guides for each of your retailers.
4. Expertise with label printing and placement
Choosing a warehousing partner who can manage all the printing and label placement requirements for your shipments will save you time, money, and hassles. Experts in this service eliminate mistakes, including shipments that get lost or routed to the wrong destinations.
5. Expertise with pick and pack
Partnering with a service provider that can quickly and electronically locate products, carefully and physically pick out the specific items needed to fill an order properly, and then pack and prepare those items for shipment, enables you to focus on all the other responsibilities associated with your job.
While finding a partner that not only meets all these criteria, but also has an exceptional reputation in the industry, a proven track record of success, and expertise in working collaboratively with some of the biggest names in retail and big box distribution may seem like a daunting task, but GlobeCon meets that challenge.
As a solutions-focused, proactive-thinking corporation, GlobeCon combines 21st century state-of-the-art technology with traditional family values. The result? Treating every container like it’s our own and providing all of our clients with exceptional, world-class service.
For detailed information, maps and contact information for the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, be sure to download a free copy of our Comprehensive Port Service Guide.